Welcome to Harbor Models Inc.
Tamar Class Lifeboat
Availability Alert - This kit takes about 2-6 weeks for production. Please call or email for lead time. 626.963.4591 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Tamar class is the result of several years of research and development by the RNLI to produce the next generation of slipway-launched lifeboat. It is virtually unsinkable and if it capsizes in the stormy seas around the British Isles, it will right itself within a few seconds. The Tamar will gradually replace the Tyne class. The lifeboat includes the computerized Systems and Information Management System (SIMS) that enables crew to control many of the lifeboat's functions remotely from the safety of their seats. Other features include advanced ergonomics that reduce the impact on the crew as the lifeboat crashes through waves, and a powered Y-class boat stored behind a transom door to allow immediate deployment. The Y-boat is accessed by lifting a section of the rear deck, then launched and recovered on to a ramp provided by the lowered transom door.
The kit contains all the required parts to build the model:
- Two glassfibre mouldings: the hull and the deck
- Prop-shafts, propellers, brass rudders; a bow-thruster tube
- Cnc-cut and printed styrene for the construction of the cabin with detailed interior
- A set of fittings and stanchions manufactured from high grade cast alloy
- Three large frets of etched brass components including detailed window frames, instrumentation, interior detail etc.
- Pre-formed mast arches from brass tube
- Vac-formed styrene radar, bow fender, liferaft boxes, liferings, filler bays and hose reel
- A vac-formed styrene kit for the Y-class boat with Lettering and Numbers
- Self-adhesive Lifeboats lettering and RNLI flags
- Over 70 construction drawings and main plans
The Y-boat compartment under the rear deck is an optional fitment with a choice of building the deck door as a one-piece removable unit or with folding sections. The transom door can be represented by a score in the GRP or drawn in with a permanent marker pen. The more experienced model maker will no doubt wish to build a working transom door however no details are given in the kit. We have ensured that the steering gear is below the Y-boat deck level should the modeller wish to house the Y-boat below decks.Specifications:
Length: 39-3/8" (1000mm)
Beam: 12-19/32" (320mm)Tamar Photos: (click to enlarge)